Twitter: @nicholasbackus Phone (651)-338-0717
Nicholas J. Backus
Sept. 2004 – May 2008 University of St. Thomas St. Paul, Minn.
- – Bachelor’s degree
- – Minors in English and philosophy
- – Studied abroad and completed 2007 January-term journalism course in London
February 2013-present Internet Broadcasting St. Paul, Minn.
National News Editor/National Copy Editor
- – Manage national news for 50-plus TV news stations in markets across the United States – ranging from small (El Paso) to large (Seattle and Boston) markets.
- Send breaking national news alerts and push notifications for clients sites, write headlines, edit video, maintain livestreams and produce slideshows.
- Copy edit TV news stories from 50-plus client stations.
May 2012-February 2013 Press Publications White Bear Lake, Minn.
Quad Community Press/Shoreview Press Editor
- – Write six to eight stories a week while producing three 12-20 page newspapers every two weeks.
- – Regularly post breaking news updates to presspubs.com. Social media editor
- -Write headlines, cutlines and shoot videos/photos for use in Press Publications’ seven papers and digital product.
April 2009-May 2012 Press Publications White Bear Lake, Minn.
Quad Community Press Editor
- – Write six to eight stories a week including school coverage, features, government meetings, hard news and business coverage.
- – Regularly posts breaking news updates to presspubs.com. Social media (Twitter, Facebook) editor
- – Write headlines and cutlines and shoot photos for use in Press Publications’ seven papers. Weekly content generation for a 14 to 20 page broadsheet
Nov. 2008-April 2009 Press Publications White Bear Lake, Minn.
Shoreview Press Contributing Writer
- – Wrote freelance stories and was hired full-time.
- – Consistently made deadline on three stories a week while holding part-time job.
Sept. 2006-May 2008 The Aquin St. Paul, Minn
Variety and Copy Editor
- – Created content and edited variety section
- – Assigned stories and assisted a staff of reporters
- – Experience with Adobe Illustrator and HTML Web-building skills
- Citypages.com locations project contributor
- Interned at the Southwest/Downtown Journal
- Interned at The Onion A.V. Club Twin Cities
- Working knowledge of Spanish language
- Resident of downtown St. Paul